Awesome Sesame Chicken – Chinese Food
Awesome Sesame Chicken Recipes (50 mins)
Ingredients (Serving 3 – 4)
- 3whole boneless chicken breastsMarinade
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 -5 drops sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oilSauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green onion, thinly slice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups peanut oil (for frying)
People love this sesame chicken. It tastes as close to the restaurant version as I think you can get. It is from about.com I found this a couple of years ago on that site, and BF requests it a tleast 2-3 times a month. it really is great, and although there are a lot of ingredients, it’s basically simple to prepare.
- Cut the chicken into small, approximately 1-inch cubes.
- Add the marinade ingredients and marinate the chicken for at least 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the sauce.
- Mix together all of the sauce ingredients except for the green onion.
- Pour them into a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to a low and keep warm while you are deep-frying the chicken.
- Heat oil for deep-frying.
- When the oil is ready, add the marinated chicken a few pieces at a time, sliding them into oil carefully, and not to overcrowd.
- Deepfry until golden brown.
- Remove the cooked chicken pieces from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the remainder of the chicken.
- Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.
- Mix in the green onion.
- Place the chicken on a large platter and pour sauce over.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Serve over rice.
Reviews – Awesome Sesame Chicken Recipes
Amazing recipe!! I was unsure at first due to the marinade/batter combo, but it works great. I added extra red chili flakes to the sauce for some extra kick (we like ours spicy), but other than that stayed true to the recipe.
My son just LOVES seasame chicken from our favorite place 60 miles from home. When I found this recipe and made it, He LOVED it!! I think he is an expert on it. Next time, I might just stir fry the chicken rather than deep frying it, just to try and keep it healthy. The sauce is out of this world. I did a tablespoon of honey to it, to help smooth out the edges. Over all, a great recipe, easy to make, and definately double the sauce!!!
Very Tasty,I marniated it for about 4 hours other than that I made it as recipe stated. Served it with rice, aspargus and a green salad for a lovely dinner. Thank you, for posting this very tasty recipe.
Yum! The marinade soaked into the chicken so there’s nothing leftover after chilling the chicken (i marinated it more than 1 1/2hrs). AS for my sauce: I may have added too much cornstarch,bec it turned out too thick! I cooked my chicken in a nonstick pan so i didnt’ deep fry the chicken (want to stay on the healthy side)Hoisin is the dominant flavor in this recipe Ü Thanks for sharing
This is a very easy recipe to put together. There is very little prep and if you put the chicken and marinade in a ziploc bag, the marinade stays on the chicken. This was good, but I thought the sauce didn’t have the depth that I was looking for. I thought it needed “something”. I did end up adding to it. Also, I had never made sesame chicken before and I put the sesame seeds in the sauce to boil.
I loved the sauce and doubled it because I like it over sticky white rice. I hope you don’t mind but I used chunks of cod instead of chicken. So it was actually, Awesome Sesame Fish. But the SAUCE is the dish and it was excellent.
Thanks for this recipe, we totally LOVED it. It was a little more work than I expected, but so worth it. I was a bit concerned about using that marinade coating as a batter for deep frying, but it came out fine, you get to taste chicken instead of tons of flour. I couldn’t find the brown sugar, so I substitued w/a little white sugar and some honey. Once the chicken was fried, I soaked up all the extra grease w/paper towels and mixed it all in the pot w/the sauce and let it soak in for 20 minutes on low heat. Served with white rice and mixed chinese veggies.
Very tasty – I set up the chicken to marinate the night before, and also added about 1 tbs of sesame oil to the sauce. Letting the oil get very hot before adding each batch of chicken cubes helps them cook faster, which really cuts down on the greasy taste you might otherwise taste. Very easy to make, too.