Pan-Fried Tofu with Spicy Peanut Sauce – Chinese Food
Pan-Fried Tofu with Spicy Peanut Sauce Recipes ( 30mins)
Ingredients (Servings 2)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 200g firm tofu
- oil, for frying
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce or 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (i used crunchy)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons skim milk or 3 tablespoons soymilk or 3 tablespoons coconut milk (will do)
- Drain tofu (i pressed gently between paper towels).
- Cut into bite-sized cubes.
- Toss with cornstarch, coating the cubes.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper.
- Heat some oil (about 3-4 tablespoon, just ensure pan is coated).
- Fry the tofu cubes in batches, making sure all sides are lightly browned.
- Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
- Sauce: Heat the milk in small saucepan (you can make sauce in microwave too).
- Add peanut butter, stirring well.
- Add other seasonings, according to personal taste (I love spicy food, so i added LOTS of chilli flakes!). If you use coconut milk, add 1/2 – 1 tsp of lime juice too – it will be great!
- Serve hot, as a snack or appetizer. Sometimes i serve them with a sweet Chinese dessert: Green Bean Soup.
The best best best!!! The peanut sauce is also versatile because you can use it on a fresh garden salad instead of using salad dressing….Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe, it was great!
This was very tasty! I made a whole meal out of it. After I finished fying the tofu, I sauteed broccoli, red peppers and green onions using the same oil. When the veggies were done, I put the tofu back into the pan. I TRIPPLED the peanut sauce, and when that finished cooking I poured it over the tofu/veggie mixture. We ate the mixture over steamed rice. My DH loved it. We will definitely be making again.
WOW! I made this tonight because I had a craving for Thai food and didn’t want to go out. The sauce is delish and the tofu was light and delicate and wonderful. I made extra sauce to use in Chicken Satay w/noddles later this week. Thanks for sharing!
I love this! It’s quick easy and like stated in the recipe, you can make the sauce the way you like. I like it spicy, so I added more chili sauce but I cut back on the garlic powder. Can’t wait to make it again at our next potluck! Thanks for sharing!
This was very tasty… I used firm tofu, and cut it into small bite sized pieces… the tofu disintergrated a little in the frying process, so next time I’ll use extra firm tofu and cut the pieces bigger. Loved the taste thou!
I agree that the cornstarch method is great…but it is great in a sauce such as the general tso’s tofu recipe that is found on this site. The plain tofu was just an overwhelming tofu-ey taste that I could not handle. And while I typically love peanut sauce…this was just not the right combination- the peanut sauce that I love is made with Peanut butter, water, white wine vinegar, Molasses and soy sauce…it’s delicious…this is not.